Friday, August 08, 2008

Create Community

Like many of you, I practically live on the Internet. My work requires it, but even if it didn't, I suspect I would still devote hours to its many attractions. So I was happy to have a face-to-face meeting this week with the executive director of Project S.H.A.R.E., the rather remarkable food bank that serves the area where I live. (Listen to this brief NPR report on how rising food prices are affecting food banks, including Project S.H.A.R.E.) The work of the food bank is decidedly personal, not virtual, with local leaders, farmers, volunteers, students, donors and recipients working together to make the community stronger.

In an era when we conduct business, commerce, politics, education and even our love lives online, a little face time might do us good. I wrote about connecting with neighbors in Natural Health magazine, but it's easy to find kindred spirits near you -- and you can use your beloved Internet to do it. Check out meetup.com, where I found Mini-Cooper fans, rubber stampers, dining-out groups and more all gathering within 20 miles of my small town. If the outdoors calls, the Sierra Club can hook you up with fellow hikers. Creative souls might uncover an artistic alliance at Design Sponge. And if this year's U.S. presidential race excites you, just enter "meetup" and the party of your choice into your favorite search engine.

I've been toying with the idea of a creative support group for awhile. Maybe it's time I "faced" it.

No comments: