Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Are You Turning Green?

"Green" living tips are everywhere these days, which is a good thing. Maybe you've bought energy-efficient lightbulbs and started turning out the lights when you leave a room, or maybe you buy locally grown food and drive a hybrid car. Whatever your shade of green, do you ever wonder how well you're doing? I just discovered a fun Web site that measures how many Planet Earths we would need to sustain us if everyone on the planet lived your or my lifestyle. I think I'm pretty mindful of the choices I make; I recycle, eat few processed foods, and telecommute -- and when I drive, I'm in a fuel-efficient compact car. Some choices aren't mine to make: I can't alter my home, for instance, since I rent. Still, I was surprised to learn that my habits requre 4.5 planets. Ouch! If you'd like to find out how many planets your life requires, go play Consumer Consequences. And if you're brave (or proud) enough, please share your results!

1 comment:

nancy said...

Well, I shouldn't admit it, but I'm trouncing through 5.5 planets. Yikes! The good news is I just moved in closer to the city where public transportation is available. I'll take this again in six months and *then* we'll see how many planets I've "saved."